The Parishes

In New France, two systems shared this duty. On one hand, the seigniorial regime regulated ownership of the land and its resources and determined the development of certain original landscapes, particularly the grid of rectangular fields that make up the ranges. On the other hand, contrary to the lordship that preceded the arrival of settlers, the parish, which also determined land organisation, followed the settling of the territory. A form of spatial organisation centred on the administration of individuals, the parish was the closest institution to the people. The parish was also the basis of civil, political and, of course, religious organisation of the colony, an all-encompassing environment. Furthermore, in New France, the parish assumed an expanded role not restricted to religious endeavours. For example, the State regularly called upon it for administrative purposes, such as for militia recruiting and censuses. Lastly, the establishment of a parish is proof that the inhabitants took root on a new land and that their living conditions were improving.


Cahier qui contient le petit catéchisme pour être appris aux jeunes enfants micmacs. (Micmac à gauche, français à droite) / Notebook containing the little catechism taught to young Micmac children. (left: Micmac, right: French)

Notebook containing the little catechism taught to young Micmac children, circa 1750

(left: Micmac, right: French)
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Collection, MS-64




À quelques pas de leur chapelle en bois, à l'ombre d'un arbre, un missionnaire note ses réflexions dans un cahier tandis qu'un deuxième se tient derrière lui. / Kneeling around an altar, Amerindians listen to an outdoor mass, celebrated by a European priest.

Première messe trifluvienne, 26 juillet 1615, undated

in Fastes trifluviens: tableaux d'histoire trifluvienne sous le régime français, 1931
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Library, 590.3.29




Franchissant une palissade de bois, trois Ursulines sont accueillies par un jésuite et un homme. / Going through a wood palisade, three Ursuline nuns are greeted by a Jesuit priest and another man.

Arrivée des Ursulines, 9 octobre 1697, undated

in Fastes trifluviens: tableaux d'histoire trifluvienne sous le régime français, 1931
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Library, 590.3.29




Débarqué d'un navire, Mgr Laval est accueilli en grande pompe par les habitants et les religieux de Québec. / Just off his ship, Mgr Laval is greeted with much fanfare by the religious and civilian inhabitants of Quebec City.

L'arrivée de Mgr Montmorency-Laval à Québec, undated

Maurice Petitdidier
in Émile Gervais, Le Vénérable François Montmorency-Laval, 1952
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Library, 645.4




Sous un ciel ennuagé, une église est fièrement érigée sur un terrain sauvage. / Under a cloudy sky, a church stands proudly on untamed land.

L'Église de Sainte-Foy, 1855

Jospeh Légaré
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Collection, 1991.34




Meublée de tableaux et de confessionnaux sur ses parois latérales, l'église a pour coeur un imposant maître-autel sculpté. / This church, furnished with paintings and confessionals along its sidewalls, has an impressive sculpted high altar at its heart.

Vue de l'intérieur de l'église des Récollets, undated

Artiste inconnu
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Collection, 1993.15654




À l'orée d'une forêt et en bordure d'un cours d'eau, une petite chapelle en bois rond entourée de tipis amérindiens marquent l'emplacement d'une mission catholique. / Near a stream at the edge of a forest, a small chapel made of round logs stands surrounded by teepees, marking the site of a Catholic mission.

Ville-Marie en 1642, 1886

W. Décary
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Collection, 1993.16141




Du haut de l'esplanade, un corps de garde et l'église des Jésuites dominent la rivière Saint-Charles et les terres basses de la ville. / From the top of an esplanade, a guardroom and the church of the Jesuits dominate the Saint-Charles River and the city's lowlands.

View from Esplanade, Quebec, undated

Robert Auchmuty Sproule
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Collection, 1993.17064




Religieuses en prière dans la chapelle de leur couvent qui est décorée de peintures, de boiserie et de sculptures. / Nuns praying in their convent's chapel, decorated with paintings, panelling and sculptures.

The Private Chapel of the Ursuline Convent, Quebec, 1840

John Richard Coke Smyth
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Collection, 1993.21100.26




D'une grande sobriété, la chapelle est peu meublée : un prie Dieu et un banc occupent la nef tandis que trois autels et quelques tableaux forment le coeur du bâtiment. / This very sober chapel is modestly furnished: a prie-dieu and a bench stand in the nave, while three altars and a few paintings constitute the heart of the building.

Intérieur de la chapelle du Petit Cap, St. Joachim, 1850

M. Charles Laverdière
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Archives, PH1986-0916




Plan d'élévation extérieure d'une église accompagné d'une échelle de mesure, et vue en plongée de sa fondation. / Plan of the exterior elevation of a church, with a scale and an overhead view of the foundations.

Plan d'Eglise par Mr Jean Maillou, circa 1715

Jean Maillou
Musée de la civilisation, Séminaire de Québec Archives, Z-160

The creation of parishes

Between 1664 and 1684, Monseigneur de Laval created twenty-five parishes in New France. This Episcopal and pastoral solicitude filled the need for colonial preaching and for grouping the believers in communities. Building churches, establishing parishes, sending priests to the lands of the Saint Lawrence River valley and ensuring their survival with the help of tithes allowed not only the spreading of the Word of God, but also the fulfilment of all other duties established by Divine and Ecclesiastical Law, such as the administration of the sacraments, the celebration of services and the salvation of souls.